Committee Membership Policy
As stated in the Orchestra’s Constitution 4(a):
- The affairs of the Orchestra shall be managed by a Committee consisting of the following 4 officers viz., a Chairman, a Vice-Chairman, a Secretary, a Treasurer and 4 other members of the Orchestra. All elected officers and members of the Committee must be members of the Orchestra.
- The Committee shall have power to co-opt up to 3 members for specified duration as it judges conducive to the interests of the Orchestra.
- The Conductor and Leader may be invited to attend Committee meetings in a consultative way.
Election of Committee
- Committee members will have a defined term of office which will normally be 3 years but may be shorter by agreement of the committee.
- The aim is that either 2 or 3 members of the committee should retire by rotation at each AGM.
- At the end of their term of office they may stand for re-election
- At least 4 weeks before the AGM the Secretary will request nominations of committee members and will notify the orchestra members who is retiring from the committee at the AGM by rotation.
- Nominations must be received by the Secretary at least 2 weeks before the AGM.
- Nominations must have a proposer (who may be the nominee) and a seconder, both of whom must be paid-up members of the orchestra. The nominee must confirm his/her willingness to stand.
- A returning officer will be appointed by the committee to set up the election procedure and count the votes. The returning officer should not be a candidate at the election.
- Nominees will be invited to make a brief statement of up to 100 words describing what they will contribute to the committee and to provide a photograph.
- In the week before the AGM, members whose subscription payments are up to date will be invited to vote using an internet-based voting procedure
- The successful candidates will be announced at the AGM by the returning officer and the members present will be invited to confirm the election of those candidates.
- The new committee will allocate roles to its members from time to time.
Elected members of the Committee will usually also serve as Trustees of the Orchestra as a charity
Policy availability and review
This policy will be made available to all the Orchestra’s members and reviewed from time to time by the Committee.
This is version 1 of this policy, approved on 19/6/2017 and confirmed 14/3/2022